CNN released an article this week unraveling the powers of play! It’s long been known that enriched play can play a critical role in a child’s development, teaching them skills that will be used not just today, but later on in life.
Beginning in babyhood, play is directly linked to learning, socialization, development and even intellect. Research has found that the availability of play materials (like toys and games) is one of the most consistent predictors of intelligence. You don’t have to rush out to the store to purchase the new electronic gadget or expensive toy…simple “open ended” play things will do the trick. Get creative, turn a box into a boat, blocks into a fortress, a can into the new coolest game! The amount of growth you’re child will get out of it is worth the few extra minutes spent with your child playing!
So what are the 10 ways in which play makes babies smarter? Here’s the list complied by CNN:
- Play makes kids smarter
- Play helps with social development
- Play helps develop impulse control
- Play reduced stress
- Play improves concentration, attention span and memory
- Play aids in physical development
- Play helps children understand the way things work
- Play helps develop mathematical thinking
- Play promotes language and literacy
- Play allows children to voice difficult feelings