For those who wear hearing instruments, you have probably become familiar with the small round batteries often referred to as “button batteries” which can also be found in thousands of products used in and around the home. These small batteries may appear harmless, but in a recent study conducted by the National Capital Poison Center, they found that small battery related incidents resulting in servere injury or fatality has increased sevenfold since 1985. These results are from young children and senior adults who unintentionally swallow the batteries often resulting in consequences that are immediate and devastating.
The batteries often become mistaken as candy or medicine, leading to ingestion. If the swallowed batteries do not pass through the intestines, they could be lodged in the throat or intestine where they generate and release hydroxide, resulting in dangerous chemical burns.
In order to keep you and your loved ones safe, follow these recommended steps to prevent unintentional battery ingestion:
- Discard button batteries carefully.
- Do not allow children to play with button batteries, and keep them out of your child’s reach.
- Caution hearing instrument users to keep their devices and batteries out of the reach of children.
- Never put button batteries in your mouth for any reason as they are easily swallowed accidentally.
- Always check medications before ingesting them. Adults have swallowed button batteries mistaken for pills or tablets.
- Keep remotes and other electronics out of your child’s reach if the battery compartments do not have a screw to secure them.
- Use tape to help secure the battery compartment.
- If a button battery is ingested, immediately seek medical attention.
- The National Battery Ingestion Hotline is available anytime at (202) 625-3333 (call collect if necessary), or call your poison center at (800) 222-1222.