Even though hearing loss is extremely common – affecting approximately two to three out of every 1,000 babies and one in eight people ages 12 and older in the U.S. – some people believe there is still a stigma around wearing hearing aids. Specifically, they fear that by wearing hearing aids they’ll look “old.” This simply isn’t true; people of all ages wear hearing aids, and they are important medical devices that connect you to the world around you.
We want you to be not just comfortable in your hearing aids, but confident as well. That’s why, this Halloween, we’re challenging you to make them stand out! We explain how you can get into the spooky spirit with your hearing aids below.
What You Can Do
Some ideas that can help you celebrate the season in style include:
- Incorporating your hearing aids into your costume. If you want to dress futuristic, for example, you can play up your advanced technology.
- Applying stickers. Make sure any stickers you use can easily be removed without leaving a residue. Colorforms are a good option for this.
- Bejeweling or bedazzling. Applying rhinestones to your hearing aids is another way to make them stand out. You can carefully apply eyelash glue, which is easy to remove.
- Consulting Artist & Craftsman Supply. You’re sure to come up with great ideas when you check out their selection.
What You Shouldn’t Do
Keep in mind when decorating your hearing aids, you should avoid:
- Using paint. This can be messy and get into the ports of your hearing aids, causing damage.
- Using hot glue. Never apply heat to your hearing aids, as this can damage the delicate technology inside.
- Using super glue. You should also avoid any permanent adhesives, as this can affect the fit and function of your devices.
- Covering the ports. No matter what you do, you should never cover the ports of your devices.
For more information about hearing aid care or to schedule an appointment with a hearing aid expert, call Evergreen Speech and Hearing Clinic today.