Today marks the first day of National Stuttering Awareness Week (May 11-17). In celebration we are going to post research, links, and facts throughout the week to help raise awareness on stuttering.
Let us know if there is anything that you have questions about!
Basic facts on stuttering
- About 1 percent of the world’s population stutters.
- Stuttering is about four times more common among boys than girls.
- Stuttering usually begins in childhood, between the ages of 2 and 5 years.
- Stuttering behaviors can vary from situation to situation and throughout the lifespan.
- No single factor has been shown to be the cause of stuttering.