In a world filled with facebook posts, tweets and online photo albums, support groups are turning online to offer 24 hour stories, advice and guidance. A new site was created this year to help parents of of children with hearing loss, HearingFamilies.com. The website was launched by Dr. Efrat Schorr, a developmental psychologist, specializing in the social and emotional development of children with hearing loss. The site combines insights and perspectives from real families with the most up-to-date research, providing advice and information that families of children with hearing loss need, along with encouragement and caring.
Here’s an excerpt from the site on the top 10 things for parent’s to remember!
10 Important Things for Parents to Remember
- We are all different – and that is okay
- No one is perfect – we can’t ever be perfect and it’s a waste of time and effort to try to be
- Nothing will change overnight, real change takes time
- Things really CAN change – they may take hard work, but they can change
- If you constantly tell yourself “I can do this,” you may find that you really can
- It is okay to have a bad day – it does not mean that all is lost
- Some things come easy, but most don’t
- Only worry about today, it takes too much time to worry about the whole future
- YOU are the experts in your child – don’t be intimidated by experts in other fields
- YOU are your child’s most persuasive advocates – your child is counting on you
If you are looking for a site with great advice and fresh perspectives on the needs of both families and children with hearing loss, we strongly encourage you to check out this site and let us know your thoughts!