Hearing loss can be quite frustrating for the families and friends of a hard-of-hearing individual, but learning the ways to communicate effectively can ease that frustration and help anyone with hearing loss maintain their communication.
Here are some common tips for communicating with a person with a hearing loss:
- Get the person’s attention before you speak
- Do not have objects in your mouth while you speak
- Speak clearly and at a moderate pace
- Use facial expressions and gestures
- Rephrase when you are not understood
- Don’t shout
- Keep movement to a minimum while speaking
- Talk TO the deaf or hard-of-hearing person, not to his/her partner
- MOST IMPORTANTLY: Be patient, positive, and relaxed!